Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:48:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        humphery@beagle.imall.com (Phil Humpherys)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: timezone problem

Phil Humpherys writes:

> I installed 2.2-BETA, and during the install, i set my timezone to be
> MST.  But my system thinks that the system clock is GMT...  HOw do i
> fix this?

I'm guessing you're used to System V, where time zones are an idea in
the mind of the environment.  In FreeBSD, they're determined by the
contents of the file /etc/localtime.  To set up your local time zone,
do:

1.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Mountain Standard Time", copy the
    contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver to /etc/localtime.

2.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Middle European Summer Time",
    copy the contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin to
    /etc/localtime.

/etc/localtime also takes care of daylight savings time transitions.
No work required.

Greg