Date:      1 Feb 2011 15:14:38 -0000
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alessandro.baggi@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: qmail or postfix?

I like qmail, but I would, having written a book about it.

If you want something that works reasonably well out of the
box, I'd use Postfix.  If you want something you can tweak to
do whatever you want, qmail is more of a toolkit.

Don't use the version of qmail in ports, it includes way too many
sloppily written patches.  netqmail 1.06 is a reasonable place to
start.

http://qmail.org/netqmail/

I've replaced the qmail SMTP daemon with Bruce Guenter's mailfront,
which is in the ports collection.  It has a flexible plugin design
which I've used to do better logging, spamassassin and DCC during the
SMTP session, etc.

Regards,