Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:29:53 +0000
From:      cag <cgotzmann@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPOE Docs

I have study your docs about PPPOE and I have not yet got a good
understanding of how this would be used or why. What the difference
between PPP and PPPOE.  PPP over TCP is to slow so I thought I would
look at PPPOE.

Here's what I understand.

PPPOED would be used at the server to listen for  PPP connections . What
TCP /UDP port does it listen on ?

Next how would you use the client / user side. All the doc's that show
config samples for  ppp.conf do not indicate how the client / user
connects to the remote server. what host name IP address etc.

What I am trying to do is create a IP tunnel between to FREEBSD
gateways. Using PPP over TCP is to slow compared to the same connection
not using PPP. I get about 1/10th the throughput using ppp compared to
a straight ethernet connection over the same link.

Thanks if you can clear this up for me.