Date:      21 Oct 1999 10:20:34 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd + Netmeeting = Possible ?

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:48:23 -0500, "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com> said:

Darryl> Greetings, I am running Freebsd 3.2 on a gateway machine (ppp
Darryl> -auto -alias isp).  I have a couple of Win9x boxes on my lan
Darryl> that use the freebsd box for internet access.  The Win9x box
Darryl> needs to use Microsoft Net Meeting for some collabrative work.
Darryl> Unfortunately, I can't choose a different application, as that
Darryl> is out of my control.  Anybody do this already ?

Darryl> I'm stuck.  How do I get this to work.

NetMeeting implements H.323 protocols which bury client and server
information in the payload rather than just leaving them in the
header. This -- like any other application which does this -- makes
NAT or Proxy very hard. H.323 also has a very complex negotiation
phase: the client and server rendesvous on one well known port, then
agree to meet on another random port, then do this once more -- for no
sane reason I can understand. It was designed by committee, a
committee that never had to actually implement it or make it work on
modern networks that have any security concerns.

I wrote a paper on its security implications a while back; you might
find it helpful to understanding how it works and it might point you
to other resources.

http://www.shenton.org/~chris/nasa-hq/netmeeting/

But sorry, I don't have a solution for you unless someone's written a
proxy which tracks the complex port negotiation. I understand Raptor
and Checkpoint now do this in their firewalls but it still presents an
astounding security risk to the end user workstations: giving remote
users with no decent authentication keyboard/mouse access to your
machine and anything it has access to.

Good luck.