Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:04:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      "K.J.Koster" <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> Personally, I suspect timing issues with the floppy driver; I assume
> you are using an unFIFO'ed NEC floppy controller.  Floppy timing is
> a critical factor in hysterisis effects and overall reliability.

I do have in fact a NEC floppy controller :)

Umm. If timing is so critical, why do MS-DOS and Win311 work flawlessly
with it? I mean, they are hardly real-time OS-es?

Let me put it like this: if floppy timing _is_ so critical, the FreeBSD
floppy driver must be buggy not to adhere to it.

On the other hand, I've never ad any trouble when I switched to mtools.
How's that?

    Groetjes,
      Kees Jan

  Kees Jan Koster   tel: UK-1227-453157  e-mail: kjk1@ukc.ac.uk
  15 St. Michaels Road,    Canterbury,   Kent,   United Kingdom
  from trials come errors...         from errors come legends...