Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:19:00 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] pkg 1.3.0 out!

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:39:46AM -0700, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 07/24/14 23:56, John Hay wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 04:42:51PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm very please to announce the release of pkg 1.3.0
> >> This version is the result of almost 9 month of hard work

> >> Thank you to all contributors:
> >> Alberto Villa, Alexandre Perrin, Andrej Zverev, Antoine Brodin, Brad Davis,
> >> Bryan Drewery, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav, Dmitry Marakasov, Elvira Khabirova, Jamie
> >> Landeg Jones, Jilles Tjoelker, John Marino, Julien Laffaye, Mathieu Arnold,
> >> Matthew Seaman, Maximilian Ga?, Michael Gehring, Michael Gmelin, Nicolas Szalay,
> >> Rodrigo Osorio, Roman Naumann, Rui Paulo, Sean Channel, Stanislav E. Putrya,
> >> Vsevolod Stakhov, Xin Li, coctic
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Bapt on behalf of the pkg@
> > Version 1.3 does better on armeb. It does not crash while installing
> > itself, but still complains and get the architecture wrong:
> >

> [snip]
>
> Would it make sense to get the architecture from the kernel, with a
> manual override for cross-installs? It seems like that would prevent
> cases like this permanently.

If a file has to be checked, what about the same mechanism that file
(libmagic) use? It seems to get it right:

root@cambria-build # file /bin/sh
/bin/sh: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, ARM, EABI4 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), FreeBSD-style, for FreeBSD 11.0 (1100028), stripped

John
--
John Hay -- jhay@meraka.csir.co.za / jhay@meraka.org.za