Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 21:53:27 -0700
From:      "Donald Fast" <djfast@telus.net>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Widespread panics on install of 4.0 -solved

Well, I have an answer.

The final solution as Jim suggested is:
lower the speed on the k6-2
I had to lower it  from the spec of 4 x 100 (=400) to 3.5x83.3 (=291).
I found that by lowering only multiplier or bus frequency it was not stable.
(I tested under Win98 as FreeBSD had died and needed a reinstall)

Under win98, I was able to load the CPU enough that mp3 files were stuttering
with ~1sec of silence between bursts of sound. (It is amazing how much more
stable win98 is now that the hardware is tweaked [down :( ] to be reliable -
I could not have loaded the system this much before, without it crashing).

So, FreeBSD installed smoothly and made it all the way through without crashing.

Time to play,
Thanks again,

Donald Fast
djfast@telus.net