Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 1995 08:34:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: xview problem (olvwm)

> Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:

> > >.xsession is exec'd out of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession, so it's
> > >most likely being run by sh, unless you've got #!/bin/csh at the
> > >top.
> > >
> > >In that case, it's not surprising that OPENWINHOME isn't being set.
> > >Either set it in your .profile, or in .xsession
> >
> > C'mon, you can't be serious, setting OPENWINHOME in .cshrc not being
> > sufficient? The environment is a thing independent from the shell
>
> "C'mon" ?  Look, let's follow the little tree and lets see where

OK, I withdraw :-)

> OPENWINHOME might possibly be read out of your .chsrc :
>
> If we assume you start xdm out of /etc/ttys (the best way) :
>
> init -> xdm -> sh Xsession -> exec ~user/.xsession -> exec wm
>
> Or if you start it out of /etc/rc.local :
>
> init -> sh /etc/rc.local -> xdm -> ...

Thanks for pointing that out. I was in error. I got to investigate further
what the cause might be. If anyone else is seeing a similar problem when
installing xview and olvwm from ports please drop me a note.

[...]

> > on another machine here with an old 'props' (1.1.5.1) client. And
> > I don't have any OPENWINHOME setting elsewhere on that machine
> > be it in .xsession or in .profile. I don't have a .profile at all.
>
> Then I'd assume that the OPENWINHOME default is fine on that machine,
> but not on the newer one.
>
> > --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0:
Tue Jul 18 14:49:19 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de:
/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386