Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:47:33 -0000
From:      Dave Swegen <dswegen@software.plasmon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum problems/questions

I'm currently trying to use vinum to set up a thin client which will
function as a mirroring fileserver. The idea is that the customer will
enable the mirror using a web-interface. But, of course, I'm having
problems. The main one is that for some reason vinum says that one of the
two plexes is faulty. This seems to be regardless of what HDs I use.

Currently the two HDs are identical (23Gb IDE drives), but I have tried
using different disks, different sizes.

Using 'vinum create <configfile>' works, but as mentioned complains that one
of the plexes is faulty.

It is far worse using the 'vinum mirror /dev/ad2a /dev/ad3a', which causes a
kernel panic and a reboot. Not fun.

/var/log/messages shows the following lines:

Jul 20 10:16:01 trabant /kernel: dscheck(#ad/16): b_bcount 8 is not on a
sector boundary (ssize 512)
Jul 20 10:16:01 trabant /kernel: dscheck(#ad/24): b_bcount 8 is not on a
sector boundary (ssize 512)

The config file I'm using looks as follows:

drive drive_a device /dev/ad2a
drive drive_b device /dev/ad3a
volume mirror
  plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive_a
  plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive drive_b

Changing the length makes no difference.

I'd much appreciate any enlightenment on the issue.

Cheers
	Dave