Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:51:16 -0800
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Sidju <lists@sidju.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nosh init system

Hi Sidju,

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 12:52 PM Sidju via freebsd-hackers
<freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I might be missing something since I have only been in the group for a few months, but is anyone looking at the "nosh" init system ( https://jdebp.eu/Softwares/nosh/ )?

Not that I know of.

> From what I have read there is some talk of writing a new init system; is nosh known to be bad in some way or just obscure (it did take me a decent while to find)?

It's good to be use precise terminology when discussing these things,
because confusion can lead to the wrong idea and pedantic arguments.
To be clear, FreeBSD isn't missing an *init*, which serves to launch
pid 2 and reap zombies.  We're missing a half-decent service
management system.  On Linux, systemd performs both roles.  On
FreeBSD, init(8) serves one role, and rc(8) is a tiny subset of a real
service management system like systemd.

(I think the piece we would consider replacing or supplementing would
be rc(8).  Part of that might be migrating some responsibilities from
pid 1 to pid 2, such as spawning gettys.  I don't hold strong opinions
about that.)

Nosh may be useful for inspiration (and portions may be used directly;
it's MIT and BSD licensed).  I haven't taken a thorough look at it,
and I don't know of anyone else who has either.  I don't believe it is
suitable to be dropped in (for a host of reasons, not all technical),
but I could be persuaded I am mistaken.

Best regards,
Conrad