Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 23:02:55 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new zero copy sockets patches available

* Kenneth D. Merry <ken@kdm.org> [020517 22:40] wrote:

> I have released a new set of zero copy sockets patches, against -current
> from today (May 17th, 2002).
>
> The main change is to deal with the vfs_ioopt changes that Alan Cox made in
> kern_subr.c.  (They conflicted a bit with the zero copy receive code.)
>
> The patches and the FAQ are available here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/zero_copy/
>
> Comments, questions and reviews are all welcome!

jumbo_vm_init() has a bunch of bugs

first it doesn't work right if called concurrently.
you need to protect the initialization of jumbo_vm_object otherwise
bad things can happen.  my suggestion is to store the results of
vm_object_allocate into a temporary, grab the mutex and then check
to see if jumbo_vm_object has been initialized again if it has then
free the object, otherwise store the allocated object into the
global and continue.

you may not call malloc(9) with M_WAITOK while holding a mutex.

---

entry = jumbo_kmap_inuse.slh_first;

I'm sure that should use a list macro.

---

That's all I see off the bat. :)  Looks cool though.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/