Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 01:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BETA problems

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Mike Smith had
to walk into mine and say:

> > > Owing to the way the blocks are compressed, you can't do this.  You
> > > have to start at the beginning.
> >
> > I haven't studied this closely, but Gary said that it's because the
> > entire segment is a single gzipped stream, and that doing so would
> > cause a restart midstream.
> >
> > I just glanced over the zlib sources, and started wondering.  Would it
> > be possible to copy the state of the decompression engine, in
> > anticipation of failure?  How expensive would it be?
>
> We don't have access to that state, because tar forks copy of gzip to
> do its work.  If we were doing the decompression internally, I think it
> would be reasonably straightforward.

> > > Write to 3com.
> >
> > Okay.  They haven't responded, so I was wondering.
>
> You might want to ask Bill Paul (wpaul@freebsd.org) who he has spoken
> to there; I know he didn't have too much trouble getting the '590 docs.

Well, that may have been because I put down "Columbia University" under
"organization" in the order form. :) (Well, I _do_ work there.) (And it
was the 905 docs, not the 590. Yes, I know, it's confusing: the 3c509
is an ISA card, the 3c905 is a PCI card, and there are all sorts of others
in between.)

Who knows how long it would have taken if I had said "FreeBSD Inc."
instead. :)

Anyway. I started out by calling up 3Com tech support on the phone. After
eventually navigating my way to a human, they opened up a support call
for me and eventually I was told that the thing to do is to call their
faxback service and request the "developer's order form" which I believe
is document #9070. This form has a list of technical manuals you can
order; you should be able to request the docs for the 3c509/509B, the
3c59x and the 3c90x cards. You can even request manuals for the 3c503
Etherlink II and earlier cards.

Note that the form that I originally got from the faxback system was
old and did not list the 3c90x cards, however I sent e-mail to
Terry_Murphy@3Com.com and she informed me that the form was out of date and
that I could just write in that I wanted the 3c90x manual at the bottom
of the page and fax it in anyway. I received my manuals by Airborne
Express a couple days later. Along with the manuals was a newer version
of the order form with the 3c90x cards included.

Once you have the form filled in, fax it back to the number printed on
the form and wait. 3Com should ship you the manuals in short order, free
of charge. There's no non-disclosure nonsense to sign (unlike _some_
vendors I could mention; are you listening Intel?). There's also a
contact number for Terry listed on the form in case you have questions.

Note that I did order copies of the 3c509 manuals just for giggles. I
actually have a spare one that I don't need. If somebody wants it, and
can't get one from 3Com for some reason, I can be pursuaded to drop it
in the mail.

-Bill