Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:30:36 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

Mike Smith wrote:
> IMHO that's a pretty strong selection criteria for what to include from
> binutils; if there's a canned gas config for a target, then the files
> that target requires should be included.

You're probably right.

FWIW, adding m68knetbsd support to both libbfd and libopcodes on i386
and alpha enables them both to disassemble a NetBSD/mvme68k object
(e.g. crt0.o). I compared the output to see if there were differences,
expecting the outputs to be identical. No such luck. The alpha
generously reports all hex addresses in 64-bits. 8-)

diff m68kcrt0.out1 m68kcrt0.out2
6c6
< 00000000 <start>:
---
> 0000000000000000 <start>:
9c9
<    8: 41f7 0c08       lea %sp@(00000008,%d0:l:4),%a0
---
>    8: 41f7 0c08       lea %sp@(0000000000000008,%d0:l:4),%a0
23c23
<   32: 2031 3939 372f  movel %a1@(372f3130,%d3:l)@(00000000),%d0
---
>   32: 2031 3939 372f  movel %a1@(00000000372f3130,%d3:l)@(0000000000000000),%d0

So that gives me a tool for use with NetBSD that I don't get from
NetBSD! And since my mvme68k system has very little disk space, it
NFS mounts it's src and obj from a FreeBSD system, having a FreeBSD tool
is quite convenient.

And from FreeBSD/Alpha, the objdump built there can disassemble
/cimaxp/usr/ccs/lib/cmplrs/cc/crt0.o which is an OSF/1 (ecoff) object.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137