Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 03:09:10 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file locking

> 1) Am I right in believing that this stuff doesn't exist in FreeBSD 2.0.5?
>    (seems like it, from looking at previous discussion in the lists
>     archive)

You are correct.  I think Sun was deliberately fuzzy in their
specification of NFS locking in order that they might claim it as a
market differentiation point.. :-)

> 2) Any work-in-progress that I might assist with?  Or any previous
>    discussion of how this ought to be implemented in FreeBSD?

I may be wrong, but I think that the answer to both of these questions
is an unfortunate "no".  The prolific Ambassador Lambert may have some
back-archives of previous discussions, given that he's been known to
save such things.. :)

> 3) If not, any pointers to the spec so I can have a go at implementing
>    from scratch?  If I can just dummy up the protocol to keep the other
>    machines happy, I would be back in business, and one step on the way
>    to doing the whole job.

I don't know of anything off the top of my head, though I'm sure that
someone else will chime in if they have something in the archives (see
above :).  I do know that such an effort would come as a very welcome
one on several quarters..

Thanks!

					Jordan