Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:50:54 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Long delays in 'pkg upgrade' and other mysteries ..

Ugh, so, there's a bunch of conflicts with package renames. You have
to read /usr/ports/UPDATING to get the full list of what to modify.

I haven't had this happen in months. The ports metadata side of things
has gotten a lot better over the last year - you're just experiencing
the handful of rounds of "incomplete metadata" and "wanton package
renaming" hilarity that marred the whole binary package experience.

(It got better. :-)

-a