Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 03:31:11 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510160006.UAA06783@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>> Either make it right, or let it be.

>Define right! I don't see it as wrong to populate the right half of the
>default chartype table with values that are useful in some particular
>locale -- in this case "C". No more wrong than leaving them blank. It
>is merely a convenience simple programs be able to do something useful
>for the majority of the users. Is the customer always right? If a
>particular tool isn't very useful in the general case, a customer might
>choose another another tool that is, in the general case, more useful.

What you mean by majority? Russian users amount is comparable
with all european users, why not extend default table to KOI8-R
instead? Seriously, pure ASCII variant need to be keeped in any case, and
it is only one valid *default* case, because it is subset
for almost all known charsets. Preferring one particular charset
among others leeds into various troubles. I dislike X idea
to have ISO8859-1 as default charset and think that they need
to change it to ASCII.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -