Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:46:27 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird behavior with -stable

On Mar 23, 2004, at 1:29 AM, kniveton wrote:

> Now for the past few days, in the evening this box stops responding to
> imap, http, and
> other ports. Weirdly, it is still responding to ssh, but gives the
> wrong host key and/or
> doesn't accept my password.

check the system logs to see if it is complaining about someone else
using its IP address.  it sounds suspiciously like that to me.

also, check what MAC address is responding to you (ie, on the client
box, run "arp -a" and find the MAC address associated with the IP you
expect).  Compare it at different times.