Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:35:42 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Subject:   Re: Help!  Need a new MBR!

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 11:57:22PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:

> So I got FreeBSD installed on my shiny new system, then installed
> BeOS.  I read the docs on the "experimental" BeOS loaded, BeLO,
> which is based on LiLO.  It says it'll recognize other bootable
> partitions, which it did, asking me to name my FreeBSD parition.
>
> Did that, reboot, get screens full of zeros.  Oh hell.
>
> So I can boot BeOS off the boot floppy, and FreeBSD off a floppy
> or CD-ROM, but I cannot boot *anything* from my hard drive.
> Is there anyway to reinstall BootEasy *without* creating a DOS
> boot floppy first?  Can I get this from some menu in sysinstall?
> I poked through the menus and didn't see anything that obviously
> related to "Just reinstall BootEasy, I hosed my MBR."
>
> Please respond via email.  Thanks in advance.

If you still have a FreeBSD boot floppy (or CDROM), you can boot
from that, and use /stand/sysinstall and fdisk to reinstall the MBR.
When in fdisk, select the device on which you are to install the MBR,
hit 'W' (write changes) without editing the partition information
(this will not hose your disk, honest!) and select 'BootEasy' on the
following screen, then OK.

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |