Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:21:58 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

> > Are you trying to say that all users are equally important to
> > FreeBSD?  I don't think that this does justice to your efforts, or
> > the efforts of other major FreeBSD contributors.

> Forget also not the "2nd tier" users who create the books and do the
> evangelism and otherwise carry out all the functions that many judge
> FreeBSD quite harshly for not satisfying.  Where are all the FreeBSD
> books?  Where are the magazine articles, ranging from those for the
> highly technical to the novice, for the FreeBSD user?  Where are all
> the fancy applications?
> 					Jordan

Fwiw I tend to agree with Jordon.  As a new user--to Freebsd; a
(former) hobbyist to Linux; and some application/admin experience with SCO.
But most of the companies I work for have NT.  And some FreeBSD.
That's where I first ran across it.

FreeBSD and Linux under the Unix Flavors heading.

Linux:

Linux - is afreely-distributable, independent Unix-like operating
system for x86, Motorola 68k, Digital Alpha, Sun SPARC and Motorola
PowerPC machines. It is an implementation of the POSIX specification
with which all true versions of Unix comply. The Linux kernel uses no
code from AT&T or any other proprietary source, and much of the
software available for Linux is developed by the Free Software
Foundation's GNU project.

FreeBSD:

FreeBSD - A free operating system based on the BSD 4.4-lite release from
Computer Systems Research Group at the University of California at Berkeley.

I guess my point is that FreeBSD needs more evangelism.  And
deserves it.  But with junk like the above who will go with Linux and
who with fbsd?  Where it's mentioned it should be mentioned in light
of it's strengths, but it's always a footnote.  It deserves better.

Maybe some emphasis on ease of installation would be helpful.  That's
exactly the arguement I had the other day from a Linux fan--it's easy
to install, has lots of help files.   This person's expertise did not
stand out.  But he *knew* Linux was easy to install, was there to say
so, and was loud about it.

As obnoxious as I find people like this, it does get Linux (and MS)
noticed.

Riley