Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:52:49 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: option NEW_PCIB

John Baldwin wrote this message on Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:45 -0400:
> On Friday, March 07, 2014 9:38:33 am Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 7, 2014, at 6:52 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Every architecture has "option NEW_PCIB" in its conf/DEFAULTS except arm
> > > and mips.  Is that on purpose?  What are the implications of adding it?
> > > Or maybe more importantly, what are the implications of it not being
> > > there?
> >
> > This is John Baldwin?s option for his reworked PCI bridge code. He did that as
> > a fallback in case he really messed up something. It introduces renumbering
> > of busses that don?t already have numbers assigned. It should be enabled on
> > ARM, but the required resource isn?t defined on arm, and some of the other
> > required glue doesn?t seem to be implemented for arm yet, which is why things
> > are the way they are at the moment. I think John intends for the option to go
> > away, and everything it covers will be ?standard?.
>
> Yes.  I just added a page on the wiki about NEW_PCIB explaining the changes
> each platform needs for it in a bit more detail on Friday:
>
>    https://wiki.freebsd.org/NEW_PCIB
>
> I have posted patches in the past to arm@ to handle step 2 in the NEW_PCIB
> base requirements for arm@ but haven't been able to get folks to test them.
> I just recently made a new pass through sys/arm in a p4 tree to refresh this.
> I haven't even compiled these yet, but you can find the patch here:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/arm_activate2.patch

Do you need a fully work system, or is booting fine?  If you need a
fully working system, then I need some help figure out my panic.. I sent
email to alc and kib a few days ago about it, but I haven't heard anything
back..  it's a problem w/ vm_page...

If booting is fine, I can test on my AVILA board I have now..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579