Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:56:32 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.corserv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: winDriver selling fbsd

At 3:35 PM +0200 6/25/01, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>  I think the comment is quite valid, in any case.  Why isn't FreeBSD
>  listed in the main product listing at www.wrs.com, when 83 other
>  products are?

	That's a good question.  First off, they don't sell FreeBSD
itself.  BSDi didn't sell FreeBSD itself.  Walnut Creek didn't sell
FreeBSD itself.  What they all have sold (and WindRiver continues to
sell) are certain products related to FreeBSD.  One of which is a
four-CD set, including the standard FreeBSD first CD (the ISO image
for which is freely available on the 'net), plus three more
proprietary CDs that they've put together.  Other products include
the FreeBSD Handbook, and the Complete FreeBSD book by Greg Lehey.

	Moreover, if you go to the FreeBSDmall site, it is clear that
they have now been bought by WindRiver, and there's even a FAQ page,
etc....  In addition, if you recall recent discussions on this list
regarding an e-mail message that WindRiver recently sent out to a lot
of people registered through FreeBSDmall, it should be fairly clear
that they consider this the place where FreeBSD and FreeBSD-related
stuff is sold.

	Looking at the WindRiver home page, I don't see either BSD/OS or
FreeBSD anywhere on the page, except on the last "news" item dated
Apr-04-2001, regarding their acquisition of the software assets of
BSDi (among others).  It's not until you go down to the exhaustive
alphabetical product directory at
<http://www.windriver.com/products/html/directory.html>; that I can
find any mention of BSD/OS as a product.

	The only thing I can assume is that since they don't consider
themselves to be selling FreeBSD per se, but instead products related
to FreeBSD (which happens on the same FreeBSDmall site that has been
in use for a while), they figured they either didn't need, or that it
wouldn't be appropriate to have, FreeBSD itself listed as a product
of the company.

	Or maybe it just accidentally slipped through the cracks.

>  Methinks many people are excessively touchy about any WindRiver-related
>  question.

	There may be some that fit that definition.  Overall, I'd have to
say that the attitude is more one of "Hey, give 'em a break, at least
for a while".

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */