Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:16:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tom Wiebe <twiebe@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Connecting 2 networks?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:09:15PM -0700, Tom Wiebe wrote:

> Can I do this by setting up a FreeBSD box as a bridge with one nic plugged
> into the office network and one plugged into the server network?

The term you're looking for here is 'router' which is a box that will
forward packets between different networks.  A 'bridge' is a box that
divides a single network into segments: use of such things has
declined markedly since the advent of switched networks.

Yes, a FreeBSD box will work very well as a router.  Make sure you put
'gateway_enable="YES"' into /etc/rc.conf and think about whether you
want to use routed(8) and ipfw(8) or ipf(8).

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK