Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:42:12 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ksh [was: Re: Shells shells shells?]

> > The one disadvantage is size:
<snip>
> > 335872  20480   7236    363588  58c44   /usr/local/bin/bash

[John added]
> both bash and ksh.  There is a real ksh available for free from
> Lucent (the old Bell-labs/hardware part of AT&T), that was specifically
> compiled for BSDI, but works on 2.1.5 and 2.2-current.  I think
> that ksh is a bit smaller than bash also.  Both shells are
> good (IMO.)

That would be ksh93, which _was_ available from www.att.com as part of the
reuse package (along with nmake, vmalloc etc) [the distribution was associated
with a book, but I forget who the publisher was]

Is it now on a Lucent page ? Post split, Korn works for AT&T Labs Research,
not Bell-Labs (Lucent). I couldn't find any reference to reuse or ksh on
either the main/research AT&T servers, or on the lucent/bell-labs servers.

Anyway the version I have (downloaded ~ Aug 95) is larger than even bash.

$ size /usr/local/bin/ksh
text    data    bss     dec     hex
409600  16384   8724    434708  6a214

Tony