Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:56:29 +0700 (ICT)
From:      pkrisada@ego.co.th
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   System or file system panic on FreeBSD 5.x

Hi all!

Once i installed ``old'' FreeBSD 5.0-STABLE with UFS file system.
It had been working fine for a while without any problems but sometime
later; it showed error messages on ttyv0; each error stated
> ad1: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=17998815
(each error came with variant LBA value)
I just ignored it, but these error messages were happened quite often
after the first occurrence.
Then the system was down to reboot without prompting, and this problem was
still after reboot. Again and again, the last occurence of error rendered
system unbootable.

So I switched to FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE with UFS2 file system (fresh
installation)
It had been working fine for long. But yesterday I got the same error.
It was down to reboot and the problem still persisted after reboot.
Currently the system is still bootable, but I'm afraid that the final
result of unbootability will happen soon.

Additional info:
# uname -a
FreeBSD bsdhost.localdomain 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8
10:21:06 UTC 2005
root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
I have 2 IDE hard disks, ad0 is used by many systems i.e. windows, linux
2.4.x, 2.6.x without any problems, but ad1 is only used by FreeBSD
5.4-RELEASE (but not dangerously dedicated)

I guess it should not be a hardware problem because fresh installation can
fix it at least for a while.
Any idea would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
pongthep