Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2018 14:06:26 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-fcp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

## Alexey Dokuchaev (danfe@FreeBSD.org):

> > FCP-01010 (https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0101.md)
> > outlines a plan to deprecate most 10/100 Ethernet drivers in FreeBSD 12
>
> Holy shit!  OK I guess I can understand removing 10 (I personally haven't
> seen one in a very long time) but 100 are omnipresent and most of my NICs
> are in fact 100.

Don't panic - they're talking about removing the 100 MBps NICS, not
the 100 GBps NICs.

Jokes aside - obviously there are very different populations of NICS.
Here, the only 100MBps interface is in the IP phone, and I would guess
that even most consumer hardware comes with a GBps interface on board
(heck, even RPis have a GBit interface, even if can't use more than 30%
of it's bandwith). Checking with a hardware-dealer: very few NICs in
their catalog are 100MBps, most are gigabit-grade.
I would have expected that things look different in the embedded world...
On the other hand, some data centers I know routinely use 10GBps, and
1 GBps is considered "legacy" there.

So, perceptions are very different... let's keep this rational and
make a list of cards still in use.

Regards,
Christoph

--