Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:22:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw userland breaks again.

:
:I have a patch here which makes the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT tunable
:at module load time using a kernel environment variable.  Looks to me
:that it would do what you want.
:
:Maxime

    No, this isn't what I want.  I want something that can be articulated
    without having to reboot the whole system.  The last time this happened
    to me, which was today, I had to reboot the system FIVE times before I
    got the network working again.  For example, I tried rebooting into
    an old kernel and the fragging boot code tried to load the new kernel's
    ACPI module (actually it tried to load BOTH the old and new kernel's
    ACPI modules), and it panic'd of course.  It took five attempts before I
    managed to get something that worked with the network up and then I
    had to reboot *AGAIN* to do the installworld with the new kernel.

    It's beginning to feel like a windows install!

    When you are sitting at a boot prompt and have no access to manual
    pages and such, and no in-boot-help that's significant enough to
    be worthwhile, it's no help tearing your hair out trying to remember
    the name of the stupid boot variable.  The last thing I want is yet
    another undocumented or hard-to-find boot variable.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>