Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 00:10:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:
 > Michael Smith wrote:
 > >
 > > Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
 > > > There is a far easier solution to this problem, of course:
 > > > Don't &%$!@#* reproduce!
 > >
 > > Woo!  Go team!  Voluntary ZPG!
 >
 > 	who will volunteer for ZPG....the best educated, the most
 > 	caring members of society or least?  would you want to live
 > 	in a society that results from X generations of the best
 > 	educated and most caring members of society practicing
 > 	ZPG while the rest of society did not...not for me, thank you.

Jonathan, here in the good old USA, we already do.  Look what it has
gotten us.  Scary recipe, huh?

In reponse to those who think the one-income family is a thing of the
past in the USA, I'd say you ARE putting your careers ahead of your
families.  I did it.  It's not easy; when my wife left work after our
baby was born she was making $36K/year, and on the way up.  We bought a
house two months later and our housing costs doubled.

So now we live on 33% less salary, with muchly increased housing costs,
and it is worth every financial sacrifice we've made to be assured that
our little girl is being raised by her parents rather than by a stranger
paid less than the legal minimum wage in clandestine cash payments,
which is the typical "nanny" arrangement around here.

I've decided that Bailey is more important than a Pentium system for
myself, or a new car for Diane, or anything else for that matter.  And I
do believe the USA and the rest of the planet would be better off if all
parents made the same choices; if we put our children before our toys,
careers, recreational activities, educations, political goals, and
everything else.

And for whoever chastised me for turning this into a USA political
debate, how could *anything* having to do with the US FTC *not be a USA
political issue?* That was the dumbest statement I've ever read on the
FreeBSD lists.

Oh, and Bill Pechter: don't be so touchy.  I wasn't blaming this problem
on "the liberals," just on "those liberals."  ;^)  You know, the
busybodies who want to legislate everything about how I am to raise my
child(ren).

Sorry to have touched off such a flame war.  Everyone who has children,
go home and kiss them.  Everyone who doesn't: get off the stick, dammit!
The fact that you're FreeBSD users already shows a tendency towards
intelligence; you are *exactly* the kind of people who *should be*
procreating!  (Yes, Jordan, this includes you!  The world would be a
better place with a couple of little Jordans and/or Jordanettes running
around, being release coordinators for FreeBSD 37.x)