Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:20:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/ums0 busy, moused disabled

Hello All

I'm using a USB mouse on my 4.7-RELEASE box and I'm seeing strange
behavior. In short, when I boot the system, I need to immediately
'shutdown now' to single-user mode and then 'exit' back to multiuser mode
to get the mouse to work.

When the machine first boots, X will not load as /dev/ums0 is busy. lsof
and cat return:

# cat /dev/ums0
cat: /dev/ums0: Device busy
# lsof | grep ums
moused     97    root    3u  VCHR      111,0        0t0      40 /dev/ums0

Now, the only moused line I have in /etc/rc.conf is:

moused_enable="NO"

and yet it's still running after system boot. Somehow bouncing to
singleuser mode and then back clears it up. How can I debug this? Where is
moused getting started? Note that once I come back to multi-user lsof
shows no processes using /dev/ums0 and X starts just fine.

Thanks - JB

PS: The 'cat /dev/ums0' trick I got from the Internet. When it's working,
if you cat the device and move the mouse around you get a lot of gibberish
in the terminal, it's a quick device test.

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg