Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [PANIC] ufs_dirbad: bad dir

:Just got another one - uptime was about 10 minutes.  Is one of the recent
:changes to SU & FFS making this situation easier to trigger?
:
:--
:-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

    This is happening on DragonFly, too.  Three people (including me) have
    seen it.  All with different hardware/hard-disk configs.

    It definitely is not hardware.

    It does not seem to be related to a crash... it happens seemingly randomly,
    but often during heavy directory / filesystem use (e.g. pkgsrc builds).
    The one crash dump I've looked at very suspiciously shows the bad
    buffer at filesystem block 12 (the first INDIRECT block).  The contents
    of the buffer looks like a random filesystem block rather then a directory
    block.

    I am going to commit Tor's patch and see if the bug reports go away.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>