Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 14:29:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        victor medina <vmedina@LatinMail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ayudaaaa

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, victor medina wrote:

> Tengo problemas para programar un backup y hacer que se ejecute
> periodicamente.  Me dijeron que con crontab se podia, pero no he logrado
> que funcione.  estoy haciendo backup de /usr/home con el comando tar con
> gzip, esto me funciona bien. el problema es hacer que se ejecute
> automaticamente en determinados periodos de tiempo.

I understand enough Spanish to figure out what you're trying to say.
However, I don't speak nearly enough to be able to write back in Spanish,
so I hope you speak English or well (or can get this translated).  It
sounds like you want to automate your backup process to run from a
crontab.  As it is right now, do you run a tar/gzip command from the
command line, or do you have a script that runs it?  I would recommend
writing a script to back up what you want backed up, and then set up a
cron job to run that script daily, or weekly, or however often you want it
to run.  I'm assuming you know how to use crontab, but if not, check the
man page for crontab ("man crontab") for a description of the fields.

Buena suerte!