Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:22:49 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New BETA of Broadcom 440x chipset driver

--=-abgu5MK9CbY3pDH7xJ92

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 16:56, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I think I have fixed the RX packet loss and memory corruption problems wi=
th
> the previous version of the driver. Please try the code at
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm-0308252140.tar.gz
>=20
> I have manged to get full link speed ftping large files in both direction=
.
> Also, I have successfully populated an empty /usr/src tree with cvsup whi=
lst
> up and downloading 50MB files.

This is _much_ nicer so far.  My interactive sessions (i.e. SSH,
checking mail, logging into AIM, etc.) are all much quicker and much
more reliable.

>=20
> Would people please try this and feed back good and bad experiences. I wo=
uld
> be interested if people could run their favorite net bench marks with the
> hw.bcm_rx_quick sysctl set to 1 (default) and 0. Setting to zero forces t=
he
> driver to copy data from the NIC, one causes the driver to do a small 44
> byte memory shuffle. Whilst wire speed should not differ, time spent in t=
he
> interrupt routine should be less with the sysctl set to 1.

I'll try with 0 later, but 1 seems pretty good.  I haven't done a big
transfer yet, though.

>=20
> Please do not use on a "valuable" system. The problem that this release
> tries to fix sometimes resulted in kernel memory corruption.

:-) Too late.  My laptop is pretty important, but it's the only machine
I have that can use this driver.

Joe