Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:08:08 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        compland@ism.com.br (Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: curious ping

#define quoting(Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica)
// Hi:
//
//    I have two machines attached to a hub. Both using SMC Etherpower. If I
// ping from machine "A" to machine "B", with the smallest packet size
// (64bytes), I got lots
// of lost packets (about 30-40%). But if I raise it just a little bit
// (108bytes) no
// packet lost! Why this happens ?

  You didn't talk about the traffic load.  One of the limiting factors
of network processing is packet processing, meaning that bursts of small
packets demand more CPU to process than large packets.  This could be
your problem, if your receiving CPU cannot deal with the suplied small
packets traffic.

// Thanks a lot!
// Helio.

					Jonny