Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:10:25 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, Christian Brueffer <brueffer@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r186737 - head/sbin/geom/class/virstor

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:48:42 +0100, Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> Sunday, January 4, 2009, 4:58:32 PM, you wrote:
>
>> While using .Ex is good, collapsing EXIT STATUS into DIAGNOSTICS is not.
>> EXIT STATUS is a standard section in our manpages and it's orthogonal to
>> DIAGNOSTICS.
>
> I am fine to revert this part, however I have trimmed this section
> just because I didn't see it listed in the PAGE STRUCTURE DOMAIN
> section of the mdoc(7) manual page.
>
> Interestingly, it lists the DIAGNOSTICS section and explicitly
> says that .Ex macro should be used there.

Then the mdoc(7) manpage needs updating.  IIRC it was Ruslan who first
started using the EXIT STATUS section, but it looks nice in a very
prominent place of many manpages.  A few that I can remember off the top
of my head (only because I went through their text recently) are:

    ls.1
    chmod.1
    chown.1
    dump.8

> If is it still preferred to revert this change, I would like to see
> this section added to the mdoc(7). Thoughts?

Yes please.  I'd like to see EXIT STATUS described in groff_mdoc.7 and a
few examples of appropriate use added.  Something that describes how we
should use the `.Ex -std' macro, when -std is not enough, and/or a few
words about the preferred way of spelling out exit codes would be pretty
awesome.