Date:      22 Jun 2000 05:17:45 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCMCIA PAO/ network install

Group,

Attempting to install FreeBSD on a Toshiba 4005CDS (satellite).

Netgear TX410 pcmcia card
Noteworthy 56K MODEM PCCARD

I want to use the network/ftp install method.  I have the 4.0
distribution on disk on another machine that is running redhat linux
6.2.  That machine is setup as an anon. ftp server.

I considered the `Install from Dos partition' method but with a
downloaded distro there is the forest of symlinks that dos knows
nothing about.

Anyway a network/ftp install should be a working option.

First I tried getting to it with just the 4.0 kern.flp and msfroot.flp
images.

After resolving 8 (network) conflicts in the opening screens kern config,
I was quereried about using PC-card as install method and
answered yes.  I assume that would be necessary for ftp too although
that isn't mentioned.  In fact the dialog sort of implies that it is
about a pcmcia cdrom, which is not the case on my machine.

Is answering yes at that stage correct?

A notification box appears to the effect that PC-card is being
configed.

Next the menu driven install menu comes up.
Proceeding with disk arrangements slice and dice.

Select distrib type etc.  When asked what type of install answer
`ftp'.  (I didn't choose the passive option)

Setup the requireed addresses and put the ftp numeric server address
as gateway.

Finally selecting `URL' and inserting the address to the Freebsd distro.
ftp//:192.168.xx.xx/pub/bsd/u/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-RELEASE

I see a notice that a connection is being attempted.. looking at the
ouput I see device ed0 timing out repeatedly.

Watching the system messages on the server I see no connect attempt.

Next I downloaded the PAO images kern.flp and mfsroot.flp for 3.4 and
attempted a network ftp install from there.

My netgear 410 is listed as supported at PAO home page.

Nearly identical results . One difference being the opening kernel
config screen for resolving conflicts showed 15 conflicts, mostly network stuff,
which I resoved and proceeded.

No connection occured, the repeated device timeouts showed on debug screen.

What can I do to get this to work?

If this had worked would I have been able to install 4.0 after booting
with pao 3.4 images?

NOTES:

I tried removing the MODEM card and switching slots with the remaining
PCMCIA ethernet card.  When attempting the ftp install this way I was
only offered `slip' `plip' and `ppp' options so aparently the OS didn't
recognize the remaining card as ethernet.