Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:52:22 +0000
From:      Andy Miller <andy@trit.org>
To:        Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I switch kernels in 5.x ?

--sfyO1m2EN8ZOtJL6

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:32:10PM -0700, Joe Schmoe wrote:
>=20
> I successfully compiled a new kernel, and was using it.  No problem.
>=20
> Then I decided to move back to the old, GENERIC kernel.  I did this by mo=
ving /boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.new, and then renaming /boot/kernel.old t=
o /boot/kernel
>=20
> Is this correct, or will there be problems when I reboot now ?  If it is =
incorrect, what else needs to be done ?
>=20

It shouldn't be a problem unless you updated your userland when you made the
new kernel.  As long as the kernel and userland are from the same release
branch, you should be fine.  If it doesn't work, you can always boot with
the working kernel again and change everything back (information on this ca=
n be
found in the handbook).

--
Andy Miller