Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:37:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal compiler error?

> nsDocLoader.cpp: In method `nsDocLoaderServiceFactory::~nsDocLoaderServiceFactory()':
> nsDocLoader.cpp:1869: Internal compiler error.
> nsDocLoader.cpp:1869: Please submit a full bug report to `bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu'.
> gmake: *** [nsDocLoader.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/data/cvs/mozilla/mozilla/webshell/src'
>
> This doesn't seem to be a good sign.  Given the degree of integration
> between the compiler and operating system under FreeBSD, I am hesitant
> to touch the system-installed gcc 2.7.2.1.  I suppose I could try the
> egcs port, under the assumption that it's been built to avoid getting
> in the way of the system's gcc installation, but first I'm curious
> whether anyone else has encountered this error, and if so, what they
> did about it?

EGCS will fail.

Install the GCC 2.8.2 port, and ensure that the "DESTDIR" is not set
in the makefile.

In addition, you may be required to put a space between the "::" and the
other semantic cruft, or before the :: in a base override to get rid
of the problem (g++/egcs fails to interpret the class override
correctly in some circumstances).  That is:

	// explicitly call desctructor...
	object->foo::~foo();

	// override return from based function as argument to function...
	object->func(::read( fd, buf, sizeof(buf));

Becomes:

	// explicitly call desctructor...
	object->foo:: ~foo();

	// override return from based function as argument to function...
	object->func( ::read( fd, buf, sizeof(buf));

(Yeah, yeah, tell the g++/egcs people about not screwing up the
syntactic sugar, not me...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---