Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:16:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /dev/null permission change from 4.3 -> 4.4...

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> 	Howdy.  This question was originally framed as a "why doesn't
> uptime work for users in 4.4, when it used to in 4.3," but after looking
> into things further, it's now a "why is /dev/null set to mod 0600?"  On
> a 4.3 system that I have, the perms on dev/null are 666.

It's been brought up a couple of times on -stable since 4.4rc1 came out...
I had the same problem, with /dev/null (and ISTR /dev/random) were both
0600. more recent mergemasters have not caused problems for me.

Gavin

--
"Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed."
                                                     -- Carolyn Scheppner