Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 02:37:08 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router ?

Yes, I imagine a 486 would do just fine. The trouble is, the only spare
486 I have lying around requires ISA network cards, which I don't have,
and don't care to buy. With PCI cards, I can always pull them later and
plug them into modern machines. But my desktop doesn't even have an ISA
slot.

About fans: maybe it's taboo, but I run my P90 with no fan, and I've
never had trouble. It's been up for months on end, and always remains
cool to the touch. I guess if I'm wrong, and someday it melts, I've just
blown $100 worth of computer, but hell, I'm willing to take that risk.
The only fan in my router is the power supply fan.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx