Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:46:04 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager

"Roger P. Johnson" wrote:

> > Kevin Sharp wrote:
> > >
> > > I have two hard drives installed in my computer: one for Windows 98/Windows
> > > NT and the other dedicated to FreeBSD.  I managed to get FreeBSD installed
> > > on the second drive, but the boot manager does not work.  I still see the
> > > Windows NT boot manager.   I even tried adding an entry in boot.ini to point
> > > to the second drive, but whenever I choose that option I get a page fault
> > > error.  Is there a way I can either get the FreeBSD boot manager to install
> > > on my C drive or to get my current boot manager to start up FreeBSD?
> > >

> > If you've got NT on the box the easiest thing to do is to add FreeBSD
> > to NT's boot manager. It's in the FAQ, "Can I add FreeBSd to the NT
> > boot manager" or similar wording. IIRC it's section 2.25.
> >
> > Basically you just copy the first sector of the FreeBSD partition
> > (using dd(1)) to a file on C:\, e.g. BOOTSECT.BSD, and clone the entry
> > for booting DOS/W95 in BOOT.INI to add a FreeBSD option.
>
> But I believe that only works IF both NT and FreeBSD are on the _same_ hard
> drive. Not on seperate drives as he state above. I have the same problem
> at home and just boot off of the boot floppy when I need FreeBSD. Search
> the mailing list archives ...

I didn't know that, I've only got a single drive so I can't try it out,
but since it's easy enough to do, and won't screw up anything that _is_
working it might be worth a try.

BTW, I gave the wrong section in the FAQ, it should be 8.7

>     Roger
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > > Kevin Sharp

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.