Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 02:27:50 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, I can't boot FreeBSD anymore

Hi,

> To my surprise, null was actually a huge file filled with tabs. I deleted
> it (rm null), then I did ln -s zero null.

I think that induced your problem. /dev/zero and /dev/null arenīt identical.
From /dev/MAKEDEV

mknod null      c 2 2;                  chmod 666 null
mknod zero      c 2 12;                 chmod 666 zero

Sorry, but I donīt know, where in the boot process you would need /dev/null the
first time, so I donīt know, where your boot hangs. I suggest to use a fixit
floppy, mount / && cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV null

I have no clue, why your first step didnīt send your bytes to Nirvana and
instead created a normal file containing your input.

Any suggestions?

Ciao
Siegbert