Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:15:20 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   filtering bridges [was: PF error message looping on screen]

On 06/16/07 21:29, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 05:20:39PM +0200, Volker wrote:

>   If that doesn't help, I recommend rewriting your rules a bit and use
>   'set state-policy if-bound' (which I'm using most as I find it better
>   to administer). Unfortunately I don't have experience with
>   state-policy if-bound in a bridged environment (just a little warning).
>
> I was thinking the same thing regarding if-bound.  I use if-bound in production
> on a pf bridge and found it avoids lots of loose state match and other state
> confusion.  Also, I have found using pf loud debugging tends to deadlock the
> console after not too long if I have more than one cpu enabled, so I avoid
> using it in production.  After much testing, I feel comfortable without it,
> however interesting it is.

Adam,

good to know, someone else will re-check my writings! ;) A couple of
days ago I was writing something totally stupid but nobody complained
(conclusion: I will avoid posting to mailing lists when my uptime is
-gt 24h).

Thanks for your hint. I wasn't quite sure if if-bound works on bridges
as I don't have much bridge experiences.

On a bridge, does it make sense to filter on bridge0 or is it
generally better to filter on it's member interfaces?

Using a quick google search, I found some problems when filtering on
the bridge interface in the past but if I would be in need of setting
up a bridge, it would be the first thing for me to filter on the
bridge interface and not on the member interfaces. What's the big
reason for either?

Thanks

Volker