Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:00:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      PGardella@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HDLC Error

Strange problem creeped up over the weekend.  I can not do anything on
the web from my FreeBSD machine (486/75 w/2.2.1).  I have iijppp to do an
-auto dial.  This has worked for several months now.  I made no changes
to the ppp.conf file nor any other that I am aware of.

Starting at about 2 PM on Saturday, I could not ping or do anything on
the web.  PPP dials out (when it sees a TCP packet) and links and I get
assigned an IP address.  And then exactly one minute later, I get the
follow error:

(Iglou.com)
HDLC errors -> FCS: 1 ADDR: 0 COMD: 0 PROTO: 0

If I dial in using my other ISP, I get:

(Concentric.net)
HDLC errors -> FCS: 0 ADDR: 0 COMD: 0 PROTO: 1

As I said, both worked before 2PM on Saturday.

To be specific, if I ping anything (including my hisaddr), almost none of
the packets come back.  I do get an occasional one return (96% packet
loss on average) with a time of about 900ms which is about 3.5 times as
long as it usually takes!

Using lynx, I get "looking for host..." and then nothing.  Ditto with
XFMail "Resolving name..."

I can dial out and use the net when I boot with Win 95 with no problem.
So I don't think the hardware is the problem.

Any hints or helps?  It's difficult to work like this! (I hate aol).

Thanks again,

Patrick