Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 23:16:14 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrating new scrshot(1) utility into vidcontrol(1) [patch for review]

On Sun, 20 May 2001 14:07:47 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 10:39:47PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > BTW, I think that the kernel's part of this feature has
> > to be extended to dump not only visible portion of the
> > screen buffer, but the whole history buffer as well. What
> > do you think?
>
> Shouldn't be too hard.
>
>  (a) It should be optional, either as a flag to the existing ioctl, or
>      as a new ioctl.

I would vote for the former. In fact, it could be merged with
(c) below, i.e. ioctl extended to allow application fill in a
dimension of a rectangular window that it want to grab, so for
example, specifying 80x24 for 80x24 text mode will give you
current content of the terminal, while 80x25 - current content
of the terminal plus one line from the history buffer and so on.
This would prevent unnecessary API cluter.

>  (b) CONS_GETINFO will need to be extended (or we need a new ioctl for
>      the scrollback) to include information about how big the scrollback
>      buffer is.

I am voting for extending. We already have quite large number
of syscons specific ioctls and probably don't really need a new
one in this case. I also would like to extend information returned
by this ioctl to include information about font size used by the
current video mode, which AFAIK currently is not possible
to get from userland. Perhaps we could co-ordinate somehow
to minimise cosequences of ABI breakage.

>  (c) It might be worth providing a mechanism to let the application
>      specify a rectangular window that it wants to grab from the buffer.

-Maxim