Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:57:43 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        David Nunn <davidn@uk.aiesec.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 kernel with 2.2.5 system?

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 12:16:25PM +0100, David Nunn wrote:
> I know this is a astrange request, but can I use a 2.2.6 kernel ona 2.2.5
> system?

Technically yes, in practice, no. The chance of subtle incompatibilities
between the kernel and userland code is too great.

> The original sysadmin never installed the sources for the kernel, and so I
> am stuck with a 2.2.5 system and 2.2.6 kernel sources. Upgrading is not an
> option since the office cannot afford that amount of downtime on this, the
> only connection to the internet they have.
>
> Can anyone help? (Please CC any replies to me personally)

I see (by your phone number) that you're in London. A tar'd and gzip'd
copy of src/sys from 2.2.5 is a shade over 4MB in size. I can put that
up for FTP for you if you like, or if you want to send me a Zip disk
I can put it on that and send it back. Or that's 3 1.44MB floppy
disks if you'd prefer.

Or depending on your proxmity to the Strand, I could drop them in
one lunch time.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?