Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:40:21 -0600
From:      "Bruce DeVault" <internal@intechsoft.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rcp

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BF3CA9.401598C0

I finally seem to have prevailed over the installation of vinum on my =
two new 34 gig hard drives, thanks to everyone's help, but now I have a =
new dillemna:

I had planned to write a shell script to successively copy various =
directories from various other machines, running SCO Openserver 5, with =
rcp to this backup machine, running FreeBSD, using crontab. I figured =
each night, the backup machine would copy the various data, and with =
nothing to do during the day, it could sit around compressing it and =
saving it for posterity.

But I can't get "rcp" to work. At all.

I've looked in the FAQ and the Handbook and the Tutorials and I can't =
seem to find any mention of how to set up rcp, or what it needs to run. =
All I know is that from what I've seen, I don't want to mess with =
Kerberos. How do I know that Kerberos isn't being used to authenticate =
rsh/rcp/rlogin? Can I get rid of it? This is a closed network, and that =
is just making things harder, if it's being used.

The machine I'm on is named "fw". /etc/hosts shows:
192.168.1.1 fw

but when I type:
rcp fw:foo bar

all I get is "rcp: stty: stdin isn't a terminal"

when I try to copy from any other of the SCO machines, even though I =
have users of the same name, with an .rhosts file owned by the account =
owner and mode 600, that just contains the line "fw" or "fw user" I get =
"permission denied".

Bleah.
:)

Bruce DeVault
InTech Software

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BF3CA9.401598C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I finally seem to have prevailed over =
the=20
installation of vinum on my two new 34 gig hard drives, thanks to =
everyone's=20
help, but now I have a new dillemna:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had planned to write a shell script =
to=20
successively copy various directories from various other machines, =
running SCO=20
Openserver 5, with rcp to this backup machine, running FreeBSD, using =
crontab. I=20
figured each night, the backup machine would copy the various data, and =
with=20
nothing to do during the day, it could sit around compressing it and =
saving it=20
for posterity.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But I can't get "rcp" to work. At =
all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've looked in the FAQ and the Handbook =
and the=20
Tutorials and I can't seem to find any mention of how to set up rcp, or =
what it=20
needs to run. All I know is that from what I've seen, I don't want to =
mess with=20
Kerberos. How do I know that Kerberos isn't being used to authenticate=20
rsh/rcp/rlogin? Can I get rid of it? This is a closed network, and that =
is just=20
making things harder, if it's being used.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The machine I'm on is named "fw". =
/etc/hosts=20
shows:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>192.168.1.1 fw</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>but when I type:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>rcp fw:foo bar</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>all I get is "rcp: stty: stdin isn't a=20
terminal"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>when I try to copy from any other of =
the SCO=20
machines, even though I have users of the same name, with an .rhosts =
file owned=20
by the account owner and mode 600, that just contains the line "fw" or =
"fw user"=20
I get "permission denied".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bleah.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bruce DeVault</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>InTech =
Software</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BF3CA9.401598C0--