Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:05:57 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "extra" files

Will Andrews wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:24:15AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > This is just another gentle reminder to check the "extras" page on
> > bento and fix your PLISTs to list everything you install from your
> > ports.  According to the latest run, there are 678 extra files or
> > directories (which could contain some files, of course) that are not
> > properly handled in PLISTs.
> >
> >   http://bento.FreeBSD.org/errorlogs/errorlogs/a.4.20000804/extras.html
>
> I have a question about this.  I *always* use find(1) to generate
> PLISTs, but I leave out "common" directories in favor of using mtree.
> However, I don't know the Right Way (tm) to share a mtree file among
> ports so that directories get deleted properly.

Until mtree things is introduced, you can use approach exploited by the Gnome
ports - i.e. when each shared directory "owned" (i.e. @dirrm'ed) by the exactly
one core package (i.e. gnomelibs, gnomecore etc.), so you can avoid "Extra"
errors by carefully constructing {RUN,LIB}_DEPENDS from these core packages for
each particular port. You also may want to look at my
ports/Tools/scripts/gnomedepends.py, which helps to construct such dependencies
list (it is for gnome apps, but it can be easily tuned for kde apps as well by
changing one line of code).

-Maxim