Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:32:20 +0300
From:      "Marwan Sultan" <Admin@kifco.net>
To:        "FreeBSD questions List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cabling problem?

Hello everyone,

     I'm Running FreeBSD 4.8-R, NATd, Firewall enabled.
     This box acting as a gateway.

     Modem Router calling the Internet and connected to rl0 in my FreeBSD
     and rl1 connected to HUB clients.

     When I plug the network cable From the Modem router directly to my
     FreeBSD in the first NIC rl0 it doesnot take the internet connection.
     and nor the light in the rl0 lights.!

     So to solve the problem, I have a small HUB i pluged the cable from
     the router to hub (uplink) and from the HUB to rl0 then everything
     works fine, and the NIC light comes on, and NATd works great
     also all clients have the internet access.

     The question is:
     Why the network cable from Modem router to box directly doesnot
     work in the time from Modem router to HUB and from HUB  to BSD
     box works fine?

     Thank you all.
--
Marwan Sultan