Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:02:13 -0800
From:      David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portmaster upgrade breaks cups-image

8.0R amd64

Part of the upgrade process from 7.2R requires reinstalling all
third-party software, such as ports. I use portmaster for this,
following the nine-step procedure described in the EXAMPLES section of
the manpage.

During the upgrade, cups-image fails with the error shown below. A
temporary workaround is to disable CUPS support in ghostscript8 and
samba3, but I might want to use this box as a print server in the future.

Thanks in advance for clues on fixing this error.

Also, I believe this is the same issue as in this message:

http://is.gd/57iuU

dn

..

cc -L../cgi-bin -L../cups -L../filter -L../ppdc -L../scheduler
-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib  -pie -fPIE -Wall -Wno-format-y2k
-fPIC -Os -g -fstack-protector -o bannertops bannertops.o pstext.o
common.o -lcupsimage \
                 -lcups   -pthread -lm -lcrypt
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/crt1.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used
when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/crt1.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
gmake[1]: *** [bannertops] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/print/cups-image/work/cups-1.4.2/filter'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/cups-image.
*** Error code 1