Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:21:32 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>, "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 158046 for review

Sam Leffler escribió:
> Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
>> http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=158046
>>
>> Change 158046 by gabor@gabor_server on 2009/02/22 01:19:13
>>
>>     - Add support for GREP_OPTIONS
>>

> How many apps take options via the environment?  Not sure I like
> this--I can imagine very confusing situations caused by
> unseen/unnoticed environment variables.
You're right, it might by dangerous if it is misused, but GNU grep uses
it so we should support this to maintain compatibility. And in some
cases, it can be really useful, imagine that you always want to colorize
the output, you can just set GREP_OPTIONS="--color". I'd say that those
who don't like it, can just ignore this and don't use it all, while
others who have been using it can keep using it, that's fair enough.
(CC'd obrien@ as he was the proposer, who reminded me of this missing
feature.)

--
Gabor Kovesdan