Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:46:21 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Subject:   Re: Kiosk Window Manager

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:04:50 -0600 (MDT), "Ryan Sommers"
<ryans@gamersimpact.com> wrote:

> I'm working on building a kiosk based on X.Org on FreeBSD. I'm having
> trouble finding a window manager though. The system requirements of
> the system have to be bare bones as little as possible. The primary
> application run will be Mozilla FireFox. I know firefox isn't the
> slimmest browser around but there are features we need that other
> browsers save IE don't have.
>
> I'm trying to find a window manager that would satisfy these harsh
> hardware requirements. I've looked at a few: ratpoison, lvm, flm.
> Trouble is I can't seem to find one that fits all my desires while
> still being slim. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.
> Following is a list of the requirements I need:
>
> 1) Above all else, light and fast with a very small memory footprint.
>
> 2) Ability to resize and reposition windows with overlapping. Also
> minimize (doesn't need to go to a taskbar just some feature to hide
> and unhide while still being very evident that it is still running).
>
> 3) Virtual desktops not required but would be a plus
>
> 4) Some sort of method to launch a very small number of applications.
> This can be a simple menu that pops up when you right click on the
> root window or just the ability to put a half dozen icons on the root
> window. Now, this could be that I simply have to write a small launch
> pad application, that would be fine.
>
> 5) A method of starting applications automatically.

You may want to try vtwm.  It's a moderately enhanced version of the
basic twm window manager which supports virtual workspaces, is highly
configurable, and very lightweight.  I used it for the longest time on
my old Athlon machine, and it served me quite nicely, meeting my
requirements at the time (which were very similar to yours).

I've since become rather fond of KDE, but I'm on a much faster machine
now (Athlon 64) and the resource problems I had on the old machine are
pretty much non-existent now.  :-)

HTH

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"